Ecclesiastes 6:1-9 - What's the point?

Ecclesiastes is a really good book... it's about someone who's got it all - money, fame, power, reputation, wisdom, familiy... everything. A lot of these things are motivation and drive for people to improve, to try and achieve more than you have now. People spend their entire lives and still doesn't achieve all that this book talks about. And yet, God sometimes showers particular individuals with what we call as "all". In the end, these people might not have the ability to enjoy it. Or they realise that even after having all these stuff, they haven't found the purpose of it all... What's the point?


Well, like most university students, I dream of having an amazing future. Prosperous, challenging, rewarding, life changing... But nobody ever thinks about wanting the ability to "enjoy" life, rather than gaining access to different methods to enjoy life. Why can't we just take life as it is? I drive a pretty old car, it's a Camry Sedan from the 90s. Like anyone who reads this will think, well, it's time to get a new car... a small one, not a family car like a Camry. Or even better, a sports car. But what's the point? We don't really know, we just want it.

I bought a new top of the line laptop a couple of months ago. But I do recall promising myself that I won't buy a new laptop until my old one breaks. My old one works perfectly fine at the moment, but I just want a laptop that performs so well that I don't need to wait for anything to open, I click it and it appears. But what's the point? In the end I probably save 5min of waiting time per day, I can play more demanding games on that laptop too... nothing too important though.

"We work to feed our appetites; meanwhile our souls go hungry." This is the summary of what's going on in our lives, especially Gen Y. This generation grew up thinking that anything is achievable, if I want to go to Europe for a holiday, then I'll work many hours a week and in half a years' time, I'll have $5000 ready. But each time we feed ourselves, we realise that this money actually goes into waste... it doesn't satisfy us as much as it's supposed to. It's like eating 1 million tic tacs for dinner, it just doesn't work.

0 comments: