Luke 10:38-42 - Sitting before the Master

This is such a familiar passage, and I've always known that I'm more of a Martha than I am a Mary. But why? In the beginning of my quiet time, I was kind of still in a hurry, wanting to put myself in the shoes of Martha and Mary and figuring out exactly what they thought. That's not what I was supposed to do at all... I'm worse than a Martha. Not that Martha's bad.

Martha is practical, all she wanted to do was to welcome and serve Jesus. She's preparing all this stuff in the kitchen, just because Jesus came. She's kind of like, more religions. Mary, on the other hand, is more spiritual. First thing she does was to sit beside Jesus and listen. It took me a while to understand this. But Mary actually put her life on hold, just because the Master is here. Martha comes in accusing Mary of leaving the kitchen to her, but that's actually a compliment, because Mary was able to put aside "the world" (which I guess often includes good things and good intentions too) just so she can enjoy Jesus. Enjoyment. That's the bit that took me a while to get.

I focus a lot on how I can serve better, what I can do to have better effects, a bigger impact. Like how Martha's probably working really hard in the kitchen to cook up a storm for Jesus. But I need quiet time. Time alone with Jesus, just to sit before Him. Why is it so hard for me to not be in such a hurry?

0 comments: