Daniel 6:6-10 - When doing the right thing is against the law

It's true, we always remember Daniel being the person in the den, but much less focus is placed on why he needed to be chucked into the den in the first place.


He knelt and prayed to God 3x a day next to his window facing Jerusalem, even after the decree was signed that nobody's allowed to pray to anyone except King Darius.

What would I have done if I were in Daniel's position. Someone who's so used to relying on prayer whenever anything happens. Like, if anything happy happened, or anything sad happens, I'm just so used to saying short prayers or thanksgiving or pleas that I don't think I can stop that altogether. However, I probably won't have the courage to pray next to the window. I imagine myself to pray secretively in a corner where nobody can see, or just pray with my eyes closed not even kneeling down.

The main thing is that Daniel feared our Lord more than he feared Persia and their laws. It requires great discernment to see the difference between what's right and what's lawful, especially now that our moral values are based largely upon what the law says.

I pray that I'll have Daniel's discernment to see what I should do to be Godly, and that He can be glorified like He was when Daniel was thrown into the den.

0 comments: