Wake Up!

I had a few wake up calls lately. There's this brother in Christ who has quite different worldly views as me, so of course these differences will sometimes lead to slightly different interpretation to our Christian values. Well only trivial ones, I do hope that our belief on our Christian Doctrines are the same, otherwise that's another issue... But as we're both quite stubborn, we never really reach any conclusions.


However, there are some key ideas that are in the Bible, but I realised how crap I am when I tried to quote the Bible, I couldn't. I know the general gist of it, but I have totally forgotten where in the Bible it was from, or even the exact wordings of the Bible. This is a really good wake up call, because I've always considered myself a Pharisee style of Christian, I love the studying of Bible Knowledge. But when it comes to application, I can't conjure up anything.

2 days ago, we had a Bible Study training day, where the Pastor outlined different ways NOT to study the Bible. As in, wrong ways of reading and interpreting etc. We didn't pinpoint "The Correct" way, because I don't think that would be right, but we did go through why some methods are wrong. It really woke me up. I've always tried to study the Bible for knowledge's sake. I want to understand all of it, I want all the answers. But I've forgotten that I once used to enjoy the Bible. So I laid there on the grass that day, spent 1 hour reading only 5 chapters of Judges. I slowly tasted every bit of it, reading from both the English and the Chinese Bible. Listening to nature's voice, birds were chirping around me, insects (which I totaly detest) were around me but I didn't mind during that 1 hour and the sun was on my back. That's how good the Bible's supposed to be.

I'm going through this special prayer project which we named Project Timebomb. We're praying for a brother daily for 3 months, he is also someone who I can't stand. We haven't started the project for long, but yesterday when I saw him, and he was in close proximity, I noticed that while I still preferred to talk to other people, my "instinctive disgust" for him was gone. Oh, the power of prayer! Don't just think that praying for others only benefits them, it also changes your heart.

0 comments: