Isaiah 53:2-12 - The Suffering Servant

One of the most common things people list as causing the most anger, would probably be betrayal/being framed. Ever experienced being framed for something? When I was in year 1, (that's when I was 5-6yrs old), I was framed for stealing in class.


In Hong Kong, discipline was really important in schools, so primary students had to sit straight with their hands on crossed on the table in between classes. The 2 class captains would walk around catching everyone who talked, fidgeted, or simply had a bad posture. Our schoolbags (the standard school bagpack) were placed behind us leaning against the back of the chair. During one of those "in between classes" periods, the female class captain suddenly exclaimed, "oh no, I lost my notepad!" So everyone looked on the floor for her, on our desks and trays, but nobody found anything. The female class captain got a little frustrated by then, and started accusing that someone in the class had stolen her notepad (like who would do that? a notepad?). So the class captain continued to scout around the room for her notepad, while everyone else gave up. Now usually our schoolbags are closed behind us, but since I'm the personification of laziness, I never close my bag, and leave it wide open. Out of the blue, the class captain shouted behind me "You stole my notepad!!" So I turned around, to see a cutesy notepad lying on top of my books at the opening of my schoolbag. Everyone gave me the "I can't believe you" look, at this time, the teacher came in. Of course, the captain told on me. The teacher made me stand up and gave me a 5minute lecture on morals. At the end, I defended myself by saying if I had stolen it, I wouldn't have left it at the opening of my bag, I would've hid it at the bottom. Also, if I did really leave it at the top, when we were helping her look for it, my neighbours would've seen it. While I said it, I had tears coming down my face, due to anger, betrayal and helplessness. It had all become clear to me, the class captain thought she had lost her notepad, but in fact it was in her pocket. But she didn't want to be embarassed for making everyone look for her notepad for her, so she decided to put the blame on someone else. Being a top student at the school, it was an embarassment and an insult if I had to have such a bad record on my name. After hearing my defence, the teacher laughed, and told me to apologise to the class captain and we'll both rest our case. Obviously the class captain was happy with that verdict, since everyone had heard my interpretation of the event, and everyone was laughing at her behind her back already. But I wasn't going to succumb that easily. I didn't want to have to bear the responsibility of someone else. So in the end, I didn't say sorry, because I was right.

Jesus was right, in everything. His suffering was the consequences reserved for us. Yet, He was willing to ruin His reputation, and take on the punishment. He was willing to bare the sin, the crime and the title of being a liar - the title that nobody will willingly accept.

He also embraced the company of the lowest. I have a certain dislike of "The West". In Sydney, like most major cities in the world, we have rich/comfortable areas, and we have the poor/dirty areas. The West is definately part of the poor, low, dirty and repulsive areas of the Sydney. Whenever I drive past it, whether to give people lifts, or visiting friends house in The West, I feel a sense of disgust. The state of the train stations on The Western Line, is enough to make anyone who's just eaten, puke. Yet, Jesus who lived in Heaven, who lives in a much richer, cleaner, nicer place than any of us have lived in, is willing to embrace the lowest.

We are leaders in some ways, but do not forget that we are servants as well.

1 comments:

william said...

its insightful that u've mentioned the disliking of poorer residential areas. over here in the US there are similar "ghetto"s. it is a mixture of prejudice and also fear. you seem to only have prejudice in your area, but do not forget that Jesus had to conquer his fear too embracing these people